10 Best Salvadorian Dishes
El Salvador is known for its stunning beaches, lush green landscapes, and its world-famous national dish, the Pupusa. But that is definitely not the only delicious plate El Pulgarcito de América has to offer!
When I moved to California and mentioned I was Salvadoran, people would often say, "Oh, pupusas!" I’d laugh, but I was honestly glad they at least knew that much. Others didn't even know El Salvador existed, sometimes asking, "What part of Mexico is that?" If you’re one of those people, I don't blame you; it’s such a small country that if I hadn't been born there, I might not have known either! Thankfully, I grew up experiencing a rich cuisine filled with love.
So, you might be wondering, "What do Salvadorians eat?" The dishes you’re about to read are more than just meals. I’ve made sure to include antojitos, aka traditional snacks/appetizers that are easy to make at home, though you’ll often find them sold by street vendors or right outside people's houses in the neighborhood.
I’ve put together a list of the 10 best Salvadoran dishes to try on your next trip, at your favorite local spot, or even in your own kitchen! Let's dive in!
The Main Meals
#1 Carne Asada
#2 Pan con Pollo
#3 Sopa de Res (Beef Soup)
#4 Sopa de Frijoles (Bean Soup)
You might be wondering, "Beans as a soup?" Yes! This dish is simple, nutritious, and so easy to make at home. It features red beans, short ribs, onions, and garlic. It’s often served with avocado, rice, and hard-boiled eggs, accompanied by queso duro or queso fresco as well and a dollop of sour cream. It’s pure comfort in a bowl. Yumz, yumz!
#5 Bistec Encebollado
#6 Salpicón
This is the most refreshing dish on the list. The beef is boiled until tender, cooled, and then finely minced and mixed with radish, red or white onion, cilantro, fresh mint, and lime juice. It is incredibly light and perfect for a warm day with some chips or tostadas.
The Antojitos (Traditional Snacks/Appetizers)
#7 Enchiladas Salvadoreñas
#8 Pastelitos
While enchiladas are usually topped with beans and veggies, pastelitos are tucked inside! They are made from a similar savory corn dough but shaped like small Mexican empanadas and filled with chicken or beef and finely diced carrots and potatoes. Served hot with a side of curtido and salsa (a tomato-based sauce), they are the perfect crispy snack.
#9 Yuca Frita (Fried Cassava)
#10 Mataniños
Now that you have an idea of what El Salvador has to offer, you’re ready to order like a pro next time you visit a Salvadoran restaurant.
If you have a Salvadoran friend, this is a great way to start a conversation! Ask them about their favorite dish; I’m sure they’ll be surprised and happy that you know exactly what they’re talking about. Who knows? You might even get an invite to the next Carne Asada!
@letsexplorenow


Comments
Post a Comment